I usually cook a large batch of beans and freeze whatever I don't use immediately. So, for this recipe the only ingredient that I had to make was the "Not-So" Cheese Sauce that I found in the Vitamix recipe book. If you have the opportunity to purchase a Vitamix you should definitely do so. You won't regret it. I think I've owned mine for about 7 years and the only part I have replaced is the rubber top recently because it wasn't fitting as snugly as it did when I first purchased it (6 years ago).
I pulled these tacos together rather quickly. The corn tortillas are Tortilla Land brand that I find in my local. The are uncooked and I prepare them on the griddle that I keep on the left side of my stove-top mostly for this purpose (and cooking pancakes just as often).
- Tortilla Land corn tortillas (or make your own using masa flour)
- black beans (red beans or pinto beans would also be good, canned is fine - just rinse them)
- fresh tomatoes, chopped
- green onions
- avocado (or guacamole - see recipe below)
- Not-So Cheese Sauce (the recipe I follow uses potato starch to create a thicker version) or Forks Over Knives No Cheese Sauce
Other possible toppings: salsa, cilantro, pico de gallo, your favorite vegetables, etc
- Cook tortillas according to package directions
- Warm the beans on the stove top - using a bit of water to prevent from burning
- Add your toppings
My Guacamole RecipeAdd all of the following ingredients to a food processor and give it a whirl!
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 lemon or lime, juiced
- 1 green onion stalk (Low FODMAP and I like them because they are milder.)
- 1/2 - 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 of jalapeno (I usually remove most of the seeds for a milder version.)
- 1/4 to 1/2 cup of "tightly packed" cilantro