I used sliced zucchini in place of the noodles and created my own version of cashew cream sauce in place of cheese. This is a meat free dish, but feel free to use a meat sauce if you prefer.
I prepared this in a small 5 x 7 casserole dish. Makes 2 servings.
2 medium size zucchini, sliced thin lengthwise
2 - 3 carrots, shredded or sliced
1/4 of a colored bell pepper, chopped
5 - 6 dehydrated tomato slices (my preference) or sun-dried tomatoes
15 ounce pasta sauce from a jar or make your own (See "Really Quick Pasta Sauce" option below.)
1 cup of cashews, soaked at least 30 minutes and no longer than 30 would be ideal
1/2 tsp lemon juice
2 fresh sprigs of parsley or 1/2 TBS dried parsley
garlic and onion powders, 1/8 tsp or less of each
Italian seasoning, 1/2 tsp
salt and pepper to taste
other optional ingredients:
yellow squash, mushrooms, grilled onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Create cashew sauce by pureeing drained cashews with lemon juice, herbs and spices. Don't forget to season with salt and pepper also. I would start with 1/4 tsp of salt. You can add a little water (or stock) if needed to thin. Set aside.
- Using a mandolin slicer, slice the zucchini lengthwise.
- Spread a small amount of pasta sauce on the bottom the casserole dish.
- Create layers with zucchini, cashew sauce, vegetables, pasta sauce then repeat again and end with zucchini and pasta sauce.
- Cover with parchment paper, oven-safe lid or covering of your choice and bake for about 30 minutes.
- Top with fresh herbs like parsley or basil and serve.
This is a pasta sauce that I would use to create pizza sauce, but it was very handy when I needed a sauce for this dish and I didn't have much time.
Using a high-speed blender (I use a Vitamix), blend the following ingredients:
- 6 oz can of tomato paste,
- 1 tsp Italian herbs
- 1/2 cup of water (or stock)
- 1 clove of garlic,
- 1/4 - 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 TBS Honey (or other sweetener).