The reason I had problems with most protein powder mixes is mostly due to my Candida Overgrowth. I can't have sugars, and also I need to avoid whey and most grains due to Leaky Gut (most likely caused by Candida). Also, many protein powders have added vitamins in forms that I don't need or don't want to ingest. I'm already taking vitamin supplements that I specifically need, so I don't need it included in my protein smoothie.
So here is the homemade vegan protein smoothie that I came up with.
Create your own homemade vegan protein smoothie using any combination of the ingredients below.
- 1 cup of water (or fresh juice*)
- 2 - 3 ice cubes
- 1 - 2 stalks celery
- 1 green apple, cut into quarters
- 1 cup spinach (or kale)
- 1 tsp Spirilina (optional)
- 1 tsp Barley Grass (optional)
- Other Fruit (such as bananas*)
- 3 TBS Nutiva Organic Hemp Protein
- Add ingredients into a blender (a high speed one such as the Vitamix works nicely) in the order listed.
- Blend until smooth and creamy.
Items marked with an asterisk (*) are NOT RECOMMENDED for Candida Free Diet.