I'm running out of time today. As I might have stated earlier, I will try to post 1 new recipe Mondays - Fridays at minimum. Today when I searched the blog I see that there is only one grain-free bread recipe listed here. So I decided I should post a muffin. Something that can be used for breakfast or a mid-day snack that is highly nutritious.
Actually before I get started with this recipe, I want to tell you that I will soon be doing more in-depth research about "wheat". There are still three people in my family that eat wheat and I'm not so sure I should be feeding it to them, at least not the way that I'm currently making it available. I am hoping to find a more ancient form of wheat and I intend to grind it myself and soak it prior to cooking. I am hoping to serve my family bread made the way it was intended - the way it was done up to just a little over a hundred years ago. So stay tuned. I will update this page with information and more links as I find my way.
So, here is the recipe:
2 cups blanched almond flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt (I think it should be cut down to 1/4 tsp)
1/2 teaspoon baking soda (Approved for GAPS and SCD - do not use baking powder!)
3 medium eggs
1/4 cup butter
add honey to taste
1 cup shredded zucchini, raw and packed tightly
2/3 cup walnuts, chopped
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees
2. Mix the almond flour, salt and baking soda together in one bowl.
3. Mix the eggs, zucchini and walnuts in another bowl.
4. Cut the butter into the dry ingredients using a Pastry Blender.
5. Once you have cut the butter into the dry ingredients, quickly mix the wet ingredients.
6. Spoon into the muffin pans (well greased or use liners)being sure to level the mixture evenly.
5. Place in the oven to bake for about 20 - 25 minutes.
OR...and I'm serious about this....Add all ingredients into a Vitamix, except for the zucchini and walnuts and blend on high until a batter forms. Then turn Vitamix down to low and add in shredded zucchini and walnuts until mixed in. Then pour into muffin pans and bake as usual.
They will be done when toothpick placed in the center comes out clean.